Are you doing all that you can to find the right career opportunity in the drone industry?
Cynthia Cauthern is CEO and founder of Transcendence UAS, a professional recruitment firm specializing in securing the most talented professionals and business leaders for the UAS Industry. She has over 15 years of success in information technology, executive management search, client relationship management, business development and project management.
It’s been said that in the next few years, the drone industry will create as many as 100,000 jobs. For most first time job seekers, the typical job search techniques – specialization, training and networking – will suffice. But for those seeking to advance into mid and executive level positions, the competition can be fierce and you may need to differentiate yourself. At the same time, with dynamic changes occurring in this fast paced industry, choosing the right opportunity is paramount to achieving long term success. That’s where Cynthia comes in. On this episode of the Drone Radio show, Cynthia talks about Transcendence, the types of jobs that may be in most demand in the UAS industry and how career seekers can find the right positions that maximize their value.
Message from Randy: My podcast is completely free, so if you find value in these episodes, please consider donating a dollar. Your donations help to defray the production costs and keep this podcast growing.
In This Episode
- Introduction. Cynthia Cauthan is CEO and founder of Transcendence UAS, a professional recruitment firm specializing in the UAS Industry. Transcendence UAS is a new company (founded in 2017), but Cynthia has more than 15 years of experience in the IT and recruiting industry. As an entrepreneur, she saw the opportunity to apply her skills to the fast growing UAS industry.
- Range of Services. Transcendence UAS focuses on mid-level IT and executive management search.
- Employment Outlook. According the Cynthia, some of the key employment opportunities in the drone industry include GIS, security, machine learning, mobile applications, project management and program management. She sees a growing demand for jobs in all of these areas.
- Importance of Cultural Fit. Cynthia explains that 80% of all new hires fail and in most cases, it’s because the person does not fit the culture of the organization. Prospective employees should fully understand the culture of the company they are considering before making the decision to accept a position. Cynthia shares some questions that an individual can raise to help them determine if the company’s culture is right for them.
- UAS vs. IT Industry. Cynthia sees the UAS industry as differing from the larger IT industry, because it’s newer and evolving, and CEOs and hiring managers haven’t yet seen the value in working with executive search companies to find the right talent. Because the UAS industry is growing and changing, it’s a good time for executives from the IT industry to enter and seek a position. Salaries in the drone industry are growing, as documented in a report that Cynthia compiled and makes available on her website, free of charge.
- Importance of Business Planning. Some people are not actually looking for a job. They’re hoping to start a business. Cynthia shares her experience of creating a solid business for Trancendence UAS and offers advice to other entrepreneurs.
- Standing Out. In today’s job market, there are so many automated ways for people to apply for a job and everyone is trying to differentiate themselves. Recruiting firms like Transcendence UAS can help individuals stand out.
- Closing. Cynthia hopes to bring value at every interaction to her clients in helping them achieve their career goals.
- Perspectives from Industry CEOs. In addition to Cynthia’s interview, I included comments from four CEOs from earlier podcast interviews on hiring new employees and needed skill sets. These perspectives provide insight into kind of decisions made by hiring managers and into the overall employment recruitment process.
- Shawn Mueller of Botlink as he describes the skills he thinks are in most demand in the industry.
- JD Claridge of XCraft talks about the need for employees to have a passion for the work they want to do, in addition to the necessary skill sets.
- Michael Monnik, of DroneSec, a drone security company talks about how the dynamic nature of the industry is fueling a demand for talent that doesn’t readily exist across the broader industry at this time.
- Alan Caccia of Animal Dynamics talks about need for today’s IT designers to have a hands-on, working knowledge of the systems that will be mass produced.
- Transcendence UAS (www.transcendence-uas.com)
Landing Your UAS Job: Cynthia Cauthern, Transcendence UAS Drone Radio Show