Are you wondering how organizations can add drones to their public safety response systems?
Romeo Durscher is the Director of Education at DJI, the world’s largest manufacturer of consumer drones. Many public safety organizations have begun to adopt drone technology. As Director of Education, Romeo works closely with many of these agencies to advance the use of drones during life- and property-saving operations. Romeo has also established himself as one of the top aerial panorama photographers in the world, traveling to various locations and capturing some of the most stunning and inspiring views from above. His work has been published in various magazines, newspapers and galleries across the globe. In this episode of the Drone Radio Show, Romeo talks about the use of drones by police and fire agencies. He’ll also give us some tips on taking great aerial images and he’ll share an amazing story of flying DJI drones and broadcasting live on ABC Good Morning America from inside the world largest cave in Vietnam.
In This Episode
- Introduction. Romeo Durscher is the Director of Education at DJI, the world’s largest manufacturer of consumer drones. As Director of Education, Romeo works closely with many entities to advance the use of drones.
- Romeo’s Background. Prior to joining DJI, Romeo worked with the NASA Mission Solar Dynamics Observatory for nearly 13 years. As consumer drone became popular, Romeo’s interest in drones grew. Romeo talks about his experiences with NASA, his decision to transition to DJI and the drone industry and some of the early roles he had with the company.
- Public Safety Applications. In 2016, DJI partnered with the European Emergency Number Association to find new and better ways to deploy UAVs into emergency scenarios. Romeo talks about this effort and the lessons learned in integrating drones into fire and public safety operations.
- Incident Command Structure. Romeo talks about introducing drones into emergency operations, primarily into the incident command structure. He also discusses the importance of developing training programs around drones to ensure they are being deployed seamlessly with other emergency operations. Finally, he shares his thoughts on what public agencies need to consider when thinking about developing a public safety program.
- Art In Aerial Photography. Romeo talks about his experiences in creating beautiful drone imagery. He stresses looking at scenes differently and working with post production tools to create dramatic scenes from above. Interestingly, Romeo’s aerial photography experience dates back to 2012 when he started playing around with drones and cameras. His interest in aerial photography quickly focused on taking aerial panoramas. He offers suggestions to drone operators that want to take a better aerial images?
- ABC Good Morning Show. In 2015, ABC Good Morning featured a live broadcast of a drone flight in Son Doong Cave in Vietnam, the biggest cave in the world. Romeo led DJI’s team and talks about the experience of flying in the cave.
- Interdrone 2017. Romeo will be speaking at Interdrone 2017 in two sessons – “The Day A Firemen Became a Drone Pilot” and “Aerial Photography – Be Creative and How To Stand Out”.
- Don’t Fly During Emergencies. Romeo comments on stories of drone operators flying during emergency situations and interfering with the work of first responders. He encourages operators to not be too quick to fly drones during these times and to check to ensure the nature of the emergency does not restrict flying.
Interdrone 2017 Sessions by Romeo Durscher
- The Day a Fireman Became a Drone Pilot – Through several pilot test sites, including a partnership with the European Emergency Number Association, the team at DJI wanted to learn how UAV/RPAS/Drones would be used by emergency service personnel. What are the needs, the challenges and what hardware and software solutions are available to make these platforms an integrated tool for fire and rescue services. What have we learned, what are the needs of first responders, what are the challenges and most importantly, what solutions do we have available for public safety?
- Aerial Photography – Be Extra Creative & How To Stand Out – This class is designed to inspire you to try new and creative ways in aerial photography. Together, we will also dig deep into the functionalities of the DJI Go app and explore many of the camera settings. You will also learn post-production editing tips to create single images, vertical and horizontal aerial panoramas, Flatland Techniques and some additional creative ways of showcasing your artwork. This includes creative editing platforms such as Plotagraph Pro, MacPhun, and others.
- DJI (www.dji.com)
- DJI Education (www.citizenship.dji.com/educational)
- Interdrone 2017 (www.interdrone.com)