Want to Build A Successful Drone Based Business?
Ken Hanes is an entrepreneur and Co-Founder of UAS Professional Pilots, a member driven platform that helps professional drone pilots promote and grow their business, while providing information to clients looking to hire those pilots. Ken is a private pilot and ran his own successful drone based business before creating UAS Professional Pilot. In this episode of the Drone Radio Show, Ken talks about his business and shares some of the things drone operators need know to build a successful drone based business.
In This Episode
- [01:53] Introduction to Ken Hanes. Ken Hanes is an entrepreneur and Co-Founder of UAS Professional Pilots. He is a private pilot and ran his own successful drone based business before creating UAS Professional.
- [02:07] About UAS Professional Pilots. UAS Professional Pilots was established to provide a platform for Part 107 Certified drone operators to promote and grow their business, while providing information to clients looking to hire those pilots. The platform also provides tools and instruction to drone operators on how to develop, manage and grow a successful drone based business.
- [06:12] Building a Successful Drone Based Business. Ken shares his perspectives on what drone operators should do and know to build a successful business, including:
- Becoming certified
- Delivering quality customer service
- Selecting the right market / markets
- Managing competition
- Creating a portfolio
- The WOW factor
- Critiquing Your Work
- Practice to Perfect their Craft
- The Market and How It Rewards Good Pilots and Business People
- Pricing Your Jobs
- [23:10] Advice to Clients. The biggest advice to clients is to ensure they are hiring a Part 107 certified drone operator, with proper insurance and has demonstrated they have the requisite skills and expertise to do the desired work.
- [26:27] Advice to Operators. Drone operators will invariably run into clients trying to play drone operators off each other when it comes to price. Ken talks about this dilemma and shares his view on finding clients that appreciate the services and are willing to pay for them, then it is to constantly being asked to renegotiate your fee. Operators need to understand that once they’ve made the decision to start a drone based business, they have to approach everything from a business perspective. Drones don’t generate clients and revenue on their own.
- [30:26] The Platform. According to Ken, operators are drawn to the platform because provides actionable advice that helps people run their businesses. The platform includes classes that basically reflect a check list of recommended actions that drone business operators should master.
- [36;42] Repeat Customers . Ken shares his perspectives on nurturing repeat business, bundling services and up-selling techniques.
- [37:26] Most Important Quality. In Ken’s opinion, the most important quality a person should possess to create a successful drone base business is the ability to figure things out. The industry is still very new and evolving, and the most successful people will be those that can see where things are going and adapt.
- UAS Professional Pilots (www.uaspropilots.com)
Building A Successful Drone Based Business – Ken Hanes, UAS Professional Pilots Drone Radio Show