“The ROI and regulations are what everybody is focused on. And for good reason, because if that regulation isn’t where somebody wants or needs it to be, then that’s going to stop their adoption or moving forward with the technology. And if the ROI isn’t there, likewise it can just fall flat on so many levels.”
This Week’s Key Question
“What’s on tap for this year’s Commercial UAV Expo?”
This Week’s Guest
Jeremiah Karpowicz is Editorial Director of the Commercial UAV News, a leading source of news, insight and analysis for the commercial drone market. The Commercial UAV News focuses on the use of drone technology in the heavy commercial sectors, such as surveying & mapping, civil infrastructure, power & utilities, mining, construction, emergency response and precision agriculture.
At the Commercial UAV News, Jeremiah has spent over a decade cultivating communities of all different types, both in-person and online. He has created articles, videos, newsletters, ebooks and much more for these communities as a contributor and editor. He has also shaped and defined various conference programs. Today, Jeremiah is focused on defining what it means to take the engagement that happens in both the physical and digital worlds to the next level.
Each year, the Commercial UAV News presents the Commercial UAV News, a leading international trade show and conference focusing on the integration and operation of commercial UAS. The Expo showcases the world’s leading commercial UAS technology from vendors from around the globe. After two years apart, more than 130 exhibitors and 1,955 drone professionals reconvened in person in 2021 to learn, connect, and drive the industry forward.
This year’s Commercial UAV Expo will be held on September 6-8 at Caesars Forum in Las Vegas.
What We Learn
Jeremiah shares details on this year’s Commercial UAV Expo and his thoughts on the commercial drone industry.
- 04:03 Opening. Introduction to Jeremiah Karpowicz as the Editorial Director of the Commercial UAV News
- 04:33 Big Stories. In Jeremiah’s opinion, the biggest story in the last year was Covid-19 and how it showed the importance of remote operations. Drone delivery really benefited from the restrictions associated with the pandemic.
- 06:58 The Commercial UAV Expo. The UAV Expo will be held on September 6-8 in Las Vegas and will focus on the industrial and enterprise applications. The dull, dirty or dangerous tasks and what it means to perform those tasks.
- 08:30 The Numbers. In 2019, the expo attracted more than 3,000 attendees. Goal is to surpass this number. There are more than 215 exhibitors committed so far.
- 09:50 Origin of the Expo. Jeremiah traces the UAV Expo back to the SPAR 3D conference which focused on mapping and surveying.
- 10:56 Themes and Highlights. Drone delivery and progress in the verticals are the major themes. There will be a Drone Visionary session, a Construction Session and a variety of ways for attendees to connect with each other. There will be keynotes, individual sessions, panel sessions and roundtable discussions.
- 14:00 Keynote Speakers. Keller Rinaudo (Zipline), Jay Merkle (FAA), Dallas Brooks (Wing) Jim O’Sullivan (Matternat), Lisa Ellman (Commercial Drone Alliance and Hogan Lovells) and Tom Walker (DroneUp).
- 16:14 Networking. Jeremiah talks about the various networking opportunities and the value of networking at the UAV Expo
- 18:21 Industry Trends. The ROI and regulation is what people are focused on. In the early days, the ROI was not there. But today, there are many examples where drones are providing value.
- 21:41 Advice to Attendees. Jeremiah offers tips for attendees to maximize the value of the show – do some research going into the event, look through the exhibitor list, connect via LinkedIn before the event, and other ideas. Think about what your next step is and how the event can advance you forward.
- 24:34 Closing. Jeremiah’s provides a final message on the drone industry.