What Do We Need To Know about Drone Security?
Michael Monnik is a cyber security consultant and founder of DroneSec a drone-security service. Mike has built a successful career in helping clients secure their networks. Over the past few years, his interest in internet security led him to drones. In this episode of the Drone Radio Show, Michael talks about the drone security sector, the risks to our systems, mitigation options and what we all need to know about drone security. He’ll also introduce us to a new podcast that he’s producing on drone security that will explore these concepts in greater detail.
Message from Randy: My podcast is completely free, so if you find value in these episodes, please consider donating a dollar. Your donations help to defray the production costs and keep this podcast.
In This Episode
- [01:59] Introduction. Michael Monnik is a cyber security consultant and founder of DroneSec a drone-security service. He has built a successful career in helping clients secure their networks.
- [02:22] Drone Sec. Mike created a drone security service, expanding upon his expertise in internet security systems. The idea came after he saw a friend hack into a drone and take control of its operating system. His clients are people or companies interested in protecting an asset from a drone mishap. He advises on the various approaches, potential budgets for maintaining a drone deterrence program and the risks involved when there’s a mishap or malicious act.
- [07:52] Drone Deterrence Sector. Mike talks about the sector growth and the companies that are emerging as leaders in drone deterrence. He also talks about the various approaches these companies offer. This sector of the drone industry is growing and should continue to grow in the future. Many organizations are trying to set a budget for maintaining a drone deterrence program.
- [10:48] Threats. Mike talks about some of the threats that we need to be concerned with in regard to malicious use of drones, including risks to our military fighting overseas. He also talks about the current posture of the industry in preparing for drone mishaps.
- [17:17] Michael’s Background Story and Drone Sec’s Evolution. Michael shares more about how he started in internet security and the path that led him to creating Drone Sec.
- [19:03] Evolution Of Drone Sec. Interestingly, Michael’s drone security practice emerged out of a personal interest in drone security. He started compiling stories and papers on drone security, created a web page, and over time, he was being approached for advice and direction.
- [24:17] Drone Sec Podcast. Mike discusses his new podcast on drone security and what listeners can expect when they tune in.
- [27:30] Challenges. Mike talks about the challenges of integrating drone security systems within the current regulations, effectively quantifying the total cost of a drone deterrence program and modified drones that cannot be easily recognized by existing systems. He also discusses the need to select the proper drone deterrence option for the specific situation and risk. Another challenge is that most clients are still so new to the drone deterrence sector, that they don’t really know the questions they need to ask. There is a need for greater education, understanding and information on the systems, costs and effectiveness.
- [30:01] Closing. Michael closes the interview by talking about why he’s passionate about drone security and what all of us should be aware of as the challenge of drone security evolves.