Do the FAA requirements for Section 333 exemptions confuse you? Well, you’re not alone. Today’s guest on the Drone Radio Show is Jonathan Rupprecht, an attorney specializing in drone law. Jonathan obtained a Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Magna Cum Laude, and a Juris Doctor from Florida International University School of Law. He has conducted extensive research on the integration of unmanned aircraft into the Japanese airspace compared to the integration in the United States’ airspace. From that research, Jonathan authored a book on the law in the United States pertaining to unmanned aircraft called “Drones: Their Many Civilian Uses and the U.S. Laws Surrounding Them”. He’s here to talk about the FAA requirements for commercial drone operations and some of the challenges that exist in today’s environment.
- [01:27] Background on Jonathan Rupprecht
- [02:51] First book – primer on the regulatory environment
- [03.32] Did you know you need a pilot license to operate a drone commercially?
- [05:25] Matter of interpretation on airmen certification requirement?
- [06:36] Does it require congress or can FAA re-interpret the rules?
- [09:30] Make sure you know what your Section 333 exemption really means
- [11:06] Problems that may arise if you’re not fully aware of your exemptions
- [12:36] Risks if not fully understanding requirements of Section 333
- [13:40] Provisions that might be too restrictive
- [15:50] Large companies vs. small companies in complying with the exemptions
- [17:18] Regulations and Hobbiests/Newbies
- [18:45] Education options for new uses
- [19:30] Correcting Section 333 Deficiencies
- [19:30] Lack of User Awareness of Exemption Requirements
- [20:07] Pilot Training / Instruction Courses
- [25:24] Visual Line of Sight
- [26:00] What we can expect to see evolve in the exemption process
- [26:38] What commercial operators can do to stay ahead
- [27:37] Future plans for Jonathan Rupprecht
- [27:57] Find out about the Unmanned Legal Assistance Association
- [28:45] How to contact and follow up with Jonathan Rupprecht
- [29:20] Closing
Johnathan Rupprecht Law (www.jrupprechtlaw.com)
The Drone Radio Show Podcast is a show about drones and the people who use them for business, fun and research.