I attended the April 11-14 Drone Dealer Expo, a 3-day event for drone dealers, held in Orlando, Florida. The event brought together drone manufactures, distributors, dealers and resellers to learn about new products and selling opportunities. In this podcast, I provide a summary of the first day’s activities, which focused on what dealer’s should know about the marketplace, a regulatory update and some marketing opportunities.
In The Episode
- [00:58] The Drone Dealer Expo: Conference Chairman, Ted Bahr explains that the Drone Dealer Expo is primarily directed to dealers, many of who are new to the industry.
- [01:42] The Keynote: The keynote was delivered by Colin Snow of The Drone Analyst, who presented the findings of a survey that he completed on the sales and distribution of drones in the U.S. Colin describes some of the opportunities for dealers based on the survey results. The full report, packed with all sorts of insights, is available on the Drone Analyst website beginning on April 25.
- [04:38] FAA Regulatory Update: Johnathan Rupprecht, a leading attorney focusing on helping individuals/businesses understand and navigate the FAA and the Federal Aviation Regulations provided a sobering update on the status of the impending Part 107 FAA rules. Johnathan advises operators to continue working within the Section 333 requirements, as Part 107 may not become effective for several more months.
- [07:23] Hot Drone Accessories: I moderated a panel on the Hot Drone Accessories for 2016. The panel included Rick Bohlman of Go Professional Cases, Tim Nilson of GetFPV and Liz Pelzel of Parrot. Much of the discussion focused on how dealers can provide product bundles that respond to the full need of their customers, while also maximizing their sales.
- [08:03] FPV Racing: Recognizing the huge interest in drone racing, the day’s sessions ended with a live FPV racing demonstration by Chris Thomas of MultiGP.
- [08:25] Interdrone 2016: Ted Bahr provides some insight into Interdrone 2016, one of the largest consumer and education drone conferences in the U.S., to be held in September 7-9 in Las Vegas. This expo is directed to commercial drone operators and will attract more than 4,000 drone operators.
- [09:32] Closing
- Drone Dealer Exp0 (www.dronedealerexpo.com)
- Drone Analyst (www.droneanalyst.com)
- Interdrone 2016 (www.interdrone.com)